The winter weather marks the beginning of cold and flu season and serves as a breeding ground for germs that can easily pass from person to person. Here are five important tips on how to keep you and your family healthy this season:
- Wash your hands! This is the single most effective way to prevent illness.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes – all are entry points for germs.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. This is a basic formula to help prevent the spread of germs.
- Get some rest. The days are shorter and the cold nights are longer. Allow your body to get the rest it needs to repair itself.
- Finally, get a flu shot! MVA Health Centers administer flu shots routinely! It’s simple and smart flu prevention. Everyone six months and older is recommended for annual flu vaccination with rare exception. Different flu vaccines are approved for use in different groups of people. Factors that can determine a person’s suitability for vaccination, or vaccination with a particular vaccine, include a person’s age, health and any relevant allergies. If you have any questions or concerns regarding which flu vaccine options are best for you and your family, talk to your MVA health care professional.
If you follow these tips, but still find yourself or family member coming down with the flu or simply feeling under the winter weather, come home to good care at MVA Health Centers, the place where health and care connect. Patients are always welcome by appointment and on a walk-in basis Monday through Friday during regular business hours.